Monday, April 18, 2011

M is for Mercedes Lackey

Mercedes Lackey is a fantasy writer that I just adore.  I was introduced to her quite randomly one
day when I received The Serpent's Shadow in a box of free books.  At the time, fantasy was not really my thing.  I had read so many through middle and high school that I had begun to think myself a little too old to be caught up in such books.

The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, Book 1)It was the cover that drew me in.  It was so unlike any other book I had seen at the time.  I read it and fell in love.  This was one of the best fantasy books I had ever read, I was sure of it.  Not only was it a tale of magic and wizards fighting in Edwardian London, but it was a very cleverly disguised retelling of Snow White.

A new take on an old fairy tale brought me back to the world of fantasy, or to be more precise, the world of Mercedes Lackey.

I began to search for more of her books, hoping to find more fairy tale wonders to read.  I would not be disappointed.  I found The Gates of Sleep, a Sleeping Beauty retelling set in Victorian England. Then The Fire Rose, Beauty and the Beast set in 1905 San Fransisco. Phoenix and Ashes, Cinderella set during World War I in England.  The Wizard of London, The Snow Queen, again in Victorian London.  Reserved for the Cat, Puss in Boots, set in England.  And lastly The Black Swan, Swan Lake, Medieval period.

Now none of these books are exact retellings...if you know the fairytale you'll have no problem picking out their elements in her story.  They're kind of like re-imagined tales for grown ups.  At the moment I believe these are all of her fairy tale based books, although she has a whole slew of other fantasy books to read if you find you like her style.  There is a new one, Unnatural Issue, based on the fairy tale The King Who Wished to Marry His Daughter that comes out in June that I can't wait to get a hold of.


The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, Book 2)The Fire Rose (The Elemental Masters Fairy Tales)Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, Book 3)
The Wizard of London (Elemental Masters, Book 4)Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters, Book 5)The Black Swan (Fairy Tale Series, Book 2)
                                                    
Unnatural Issue: An Elemental Masters Novel

No comments: